Here we’re sharing some tips and tricks of using your Redmi Note 4.
For more Redmi Note 4 Q&A, check out our forum.
1. Shake to rearrange the app icons
Have a home screen fills with empty spaces after uninstalling a few apps? You can follow these steps to rearrange the apps quickly.
- Long tap an empty area on the Home screen.
- Shake your phone.
2. Fill empty spaces automatically
If you don’t want to leave empty spaces after uninstalling apps, turn on this option.
- Go to your device’s Settings > Home screen
- Turn on Fill empty cells.
3. Personalize the notification light colors
If you don’t want all the notifications to flash the same blue light, you can change it here:
- On your device’s Settings, tap Additional settings > Notification light.
- Here, you can set a different light color for normal, call and message notifications.
4. Brighten your screen quickly
Press the Volume up button and Menu button at the same time to quickly brighten your phone’s screen.
5. Enable Developer Options
- Go to your device’s Settings > About phone > Tap MIUI version for 7 times
- You can find the Developer options in your device’s Settings > Additional settings.
6. Use the built-in unit converter
In the calculator app, you can tap the in the upper left corner to find the unit conversion categories.
7. Disable the navigation buttons while playing games
i. Disable navigation buttons manually
Wish to disable the navigation buttons temporarily while playing games? Here’s how;
- Open the Toggle panel from the top of the screen.
- Tap Buttons to disable/enable the navigation buttons.
Note: If you can find Buttons on the Toggle panel, go to the device’s Settings > Notifications & status bar > Toggle positions, then tap and drag the Buttons toggle above the active bar.
ii. Disable navigation buttons automatically
You can also disable the navigation buttons automatically when you’re using certain apps or play certain games. Yes, it saves you the hassle of opening the toggle panel and tapping the Buttons toggle.
- From your device’s Settings, go to Additional settings > Buttons > Automatically disable navigation buttons.
- Set Always disable for the apps you want the navigation buttons to be disabled.
8. Turn on flashlight using Home button
If turning on flashlight from the Toggle panel is too slow for you, you should be happy to know that there’s a quicker way – long press the Home button.
9. Transfer file between your phone and computer using FTP
If, for some reason, the USB data cable doesn’t work on your computer, you can transfer files between your computer and phone wirelessly using FTP. To do so, you’ll need to turn on the FTP server services in the Explorer app. Here’s how:
- Open the Explorer app.
- On the Categories tab, tap FTP > Start server.
- Once the FTP server is started, you can use a FTP client on your computer to connect to it for file transferring.
10. Check if a surface is level or not
Need help to hang a picture at a perfect level? Use the built-in level tool on your phone. Open the compass app, and then slide left to get the level tool.
11. Long tap a toggle button to access its settings
On the toggle panel, you can long tap a button to access its settings directly. For example, long tapping the Wi-Fi button will open the Wi-Fi settings screen.
12. View your phone information
Go to your device’s Settings > About phone, and tap on Internal memory for 4 times.
13. Access the hardware test menu
If you wish to test out your phone hardware, use either one of these methods to access the hardware test menu.
- Enter *#*#6484#*#* on the dial pad.
- Go to your device’s Settings > About phone, and tap on Kernel version 5 times.
14. Set the apps you want to launch on the Lock screen
You can swipe left and right on the lock screen to quickly launch 2 different apps. And the good thing is that you can set the apps that you want to launch.
- Go to your device’s Settings > Lock screen & password > Lock screen shortcuts.
- Here, you can pick the apps that you want to open.
15. Home screen gestures
- Pinch using 2 fingers to see the Themes, Widgets, Wallpaper and Effects options
- Pinch using 3 fingers to enter the (home screen thumbnail) mode which allows you to pick the primary home screen, rearrange the home screens, add and delete home screens.
16. Use Child mode
You can use Child mode to block or limited specific apps and content on your phone before handing it to your kids. Here’s how to turn on Child mode:
- Go to your device’s Settings > Additional settings > Child mode
- Turn on the Child mode switch.
- Enter your Privacy protection password.
- Here, you can turn on the apps you want to show in the Child mode.
- To exit Child mode, tap the Exit button, enter your Privacy protection password, and then turn off the Child mode switch.
17. Take a screenshot
Need to capture your phone’s screen? Use one of these methods:
- Menu button + Volume down button
- Power button + Volume down button
- Open the Toggle panel from the top of the screen, tap the Screenshot button.
18. Take scrolling screenshot
If you wish to take a screenshot of an entire webpage, use the scrolling screen shot feature. Here’s how:
- As per normal, press the Power + Volume down at the same time to capture a screenshot.
- Tap the generated thumbnail and followed by the Scroll button.
19. Show battery percentage
Redmi Note 4 has a big battery. But, if you still want to get a precise view of how much battery life your phone has left by showing the percentage, follow the steps below:
- From your device’s Settings, tap Notifications & status bar > Battery indicator.
- Select Percentage.
20. Double tap screen to wake
Enabling this feature means you no longer have to press the Power button on the side of your phone to wake up the phone.
- From your device’s Settings, tap Display.
- Turn on Double tap screen to wake.
21. Turn off and lock screen using the Lock button
If you want to avoid pressing the Power button too frequently, you can place a Lock button on the Home screen that lets you turn off your phone display.
- Pinch a home screen using 2 fingers.
- Tap Widgets > Toggles, then find and drag the Lock button to a Home screen.
22. Access the Installed apps screen directly from the Home screen
You can place an Installed apps button on the Home screen. With this button, you can tap it to open the Installed apps screen directly.
- Pinch a home screen using 2 fingers.
- Tap Widgets > Settings, then find and drag the Installed apps button to a Home screen.
23. Stopwatch runs non stop
Do you know restarting your phone doesn’t stop the stopwatch?
24. Remove an alarm automatically
If there’s an alarm that you only for one time, you can turn on the Delete after goes off option in the alarm settings to have it removed automatically.
25. Use your phone with one hand
The 5.5 inches Redmi Note 4 has the one-handed mode so that your can use it with one hand. Simply swipe from the Home button to either the Back or Recent button, you’ll get a smaller virtual screen. You can set the size of the virtual screen (4.5”, 4” or 3.5”) in Settings > Additional settings > One-handed mode.
26. Ask Google Assistant to do things for you
Meet your Google Assistant, ask it questions and tell it to do things for you by long pressing the Home button.
1. Change the carrier name
If you wish to show a custom text instead of your carrier name in the status bar, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Notifications & status bar.
- Make sure Show carrier name is turned on.
- Tap Edit carrier name to enter a custom text.
2. Customize theme
If you’re happy with the default theme, but wish use the icons and dial pad from other themes, it’s possible with the Customize theme function.
- Open the Themes app.
- Tap the My account icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap Customize theme.
- Pick the component you want to customize, and then pink a theme.
3. Change the navigation button positions
The default setup is that the Recent app button is on the left, and the Back button is on the right. If you wish to switch these 2 buttons around, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Additional settings > Buttons > Navigation buttons.
- Select Back button on the left, Menu button on the right.<
1. Turn on night mode
If you’re a night time reader, you’ll be happy that you can instantly change the browser to have dark background and white text by turning on Night mode.
2. Swipe to switch between tabs
If you have many tabs opened, you can easily switch between them by swiping from the left or right edge of the screen. Follow the steps below to turn on this feature:
- Open the Browser app, tap the Menu button > Settings.
- Turn on Swipe from edge to switch tabs.
3. Use volume buttons for page scrolling
If you wish to scroll up and down webpages with the physical buttons, turn on Scroll using volume buttons in the browser’s settings.
4. Open a URL quickly
You can now select (or highlight) a URL from any apps, and then tap the Chain button to open the URL using the default browsing app directly.
1. Read QR codes using the Camera app
You can use the pre-installed Camera app to read QR codes. But, before doing so, you’ll need to enable this option in the camera settings.
- From your device’s Settings > System apps > Camera.
- Turn Scan QR codes.
2. Open camera using the Volume down button
If you wish to open the Camera app as quickly as you can when your phone is in standby mode, press the Volume down button twice. To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- Go to your device’s Settings > Lock screen & password.
- Make sure the Launch Camera switch is turned on.
3. Mute the shutter sound
You can turn off the Camera shutter sound even your phone isn’t muted. Here’s how:
- From your device’s Settings, tap System apps > Camera.
- Slide the Camera sounds switch to the off position.
– Wi-Fi and other connectivities
1. Share your Wi-Fi network using a QR code
If your friend wants to connect to the same Wi-Fi network you’re currently using, you can share the Wi-Fi password using a QR code. Here’s how:
- On your device’s Settings, tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap on the Wi-Fi network you’re currently connected to, and it will show a QR code.
– Music & video
1. Hide a folder
If you have songs in a folder that you don’t want to be listed in the MIUI Music app, follow the steps below to hide it:
- Open the Music app.
- Go to Local songs.
- Go to the Folders tab.
- Long tap the folder you want to hide, select Hide.
1. Record calls manually or automatically
Forget about the 3rd party call recording app, you can record calls automatically or manually using the built-in call recording function.
i. To record calls automatically
- Go to your device’s Settings > System apps > Phone > Call recording.
- Turn on Record calls automatically.
- Here, you can also set whether to record all incoming calls or just the selected numbers.
ii. To record calls manually
When a call is connected, press on the call screen to start/stop the recording.
2. Use Pocket mode
Turn on Pocket mode to stop answering or declining calls accidentally when your phone is in your pocket.
- Go to the device’s Settings > Lock screen & password > Advanced settings.
- Turn on Pocket mode.
3. Press the Power button to end calls
If you find the common method of ending calls (bringing your phone away from your ear and tapping the End call button) is way too slow, use the Power button. Follow these steps to enable this feature:
- From your device’s Settings, tap Additional settings > Accessibility
- Turn on Power button end calls.
4. Silent phone ringing quickly
When there’s an incoming call, you can quickly silent the ringer with the following methods:
- Press the Power button.
- Press either Volume + or –
- Flip the phone to face down. Note: For this method to work, you’ll need to enabled the Flip to silence ringer option in the incoming call settings.
5. Block all incoming calls quickly
One of the ways to send all calls to the voicemail directly is by using the built-in Blocklist feature with the “Block everything” rule.
- On pre-installed dialer, tap the Menu button > Blocklist
- Tap the Settings (Gear) button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Make sure Blocklist is turned on.
- Tap Rules, and then select Block everything.
Do you have more tips and tricks to add? Share them in the comments!